There are numerous volunteer possibilities at Community of Christ that can fit into anyone's schedule.
1. Do you enjoy working with children? Our Nature Club and Nature Club Day Camp would be perfect for you.
- Nature Club meets every other week on Tuesday evenings.
- Nature Club Day Camp is a one week, Monday through Friday, summer morning filled with multiple activities.
- Adult and Junior Adult Volunteers should call Julie for more details at 412-833-4660 or click to email Julie
2. Would you like to give back to your community? It sounds like Dinner for a Dollar would be a good place to start.
Dinner for a Dollar is held the second Thursday of every month, except for July and December, in the evening from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.
- Preliminary volunteer help is needed the Wednesday prior to the dinner picking up donations from our local supermarkets, and restaurants. These pickups are done at 7:30 a.m. Additional volunteers are needed Wednesday mornings to set up the dining room and kitchen.
- Thursday volunteers are needed in the afternoon at 1:00 to do pickups at 2 additional donation spots.
- Thursday volunteers are needed in the morning at 9:30 slicing breads, making cookie trays, cutting desserts and finalizing dinner set-up, and in the afternoon at 1:30 to begin making the spaghetti sauce.
- Thursday evening volunteers are needed at 4:30 p.m. to serve the meal, and 6:30 p.m. to begin cleaning up.
- Adult and Junior Adult Volunteers should call Jan at 412-805-7194 or click to email Jan Zeiger
3. How would you like to show our community the true meaning of Christmas? Please join us in showcasing our Live Nativity program. Live Nativity is a drive-thru program that depicts numerous scenes [with actors and live animals] leading to the birth of Jesus Christ. This is held in December, usually on a Friday evening from 6:00 'til 9:00 p.m.
- Volunteers are needed to help set up the numerous scenes prior to the actual event. This would entail anything from small [getting the costumes ironed and repaired], medium [putting sand into jugs for the luminaria lit drive-thru], to large [helping put the scenes together. Muscles are a bonus!]. A hot lunch is always served to everyone volunteering.
- During the day and night of the activity, help is needed in various places. The kitchen can use many hands in baking fresh cookies and making hot cocoa for the actors [both inside and outside]. There is help needed to assist the actors choose their costumes and get dressed. When you are dressed in your winter clothes, and trying to put a costume on, you can think of it as if you were trying to put a pair of socks on with oven mitts!
- Prior to the actual Live Nativity in late afternoon, the candles need lit for the luminaria, spot lights need proper placement, and animals need put into place. This often entails a lot of one-on-one time with donkeys, sheep, and goats. Prior shepherding experience a plus!
- After the event is over for the night, we do as much clean-up as possible. Volunteers are desperately needed at this time.
- Within the following week, the scenery needs to be put away, and costumes washed and stored. Again, volunteers are welcome.
- Please contact Jan at 412-805-7194 or click to email Jan.